Monday, September 22, 2008

Elizabeth Grace

POOR THING
My niece, Elizabeth, loves to swing around on their play set like a little monkey. She was doing this Saturday when she fell off and broke her arm at the elbow. Vanette took her to the ER in Madison where they took X-rays and then decided to send her to Louisville for surgery. It ended up being 17 hours from the time of the break until they took her into surgery. And 21 hours until she could eat or drink. That is a long time for a five year old.
For being a drama queen, she did really good. However, the last hour before surgery she decided she had enough. These are a few of the things she said in her despair: "I want to see the doctor, NOW!" "I want a drink, I want a drink, I want a drink, I want a drink." This last one was repeated over and over for several minutes. I understand that these things could make her look like a brat, but put yourself in her shoes. How would you be feeling if you had to lay there in significant pain for that long??
She came home Sunday night. I left this morning and she was still in a lot of pain. I am very proud of her and how brave she has been.


Sunday night after she got home from the hospital. I think her face says it all.


Finally able to go to sleep.


Trying to spend some time with Rebekah who has been a little neglected in all the excitement.


Smiles!

1 comment:

David Heintzelman said...

Aww. Poor girl. Musta been painful. Hope she gets to feeling better soon. It helps when she has such a good nurse keeping an eye on her!